What would a Historical/Scientific Approach to the Bible & Jesus Possibly Look Like…It asserts that we start by treating the bible as a normal ancient historical text. (Instead as the inspired Word of God.) I saw this on a random blog, and it had some decent ideas for approaching the historical N.T. Bible & Jesus, but it seemed to me it need more for it seemed to be missing some gaps in logic it to have any creditably, so I added & revised to points 3,4, and 5.
1. Start by treating the New Testament as a normal historical document – to be tested and evaluated.
2. The secular Historians have done this and found we can know quite a bit about the historical Jesus and his life – see Jesus in history.
3. On this basis, we can consider what we conclude about Jesus indeed and definitly did exist. As can affirmed by the well respected agnostic Dr. Bart Ehrman.
4. In addition they must also evaluate the historiography of the Gospels and if they are reliable and trustworthy.
*In comparison to other ancient text such as the Iliad or the Odyssey, they hold a strong sense of reliability.
5. Next is for the Historian to evaluate all the options and possibilities for the historical Jesus. There are five very reasonalbe possible theories: Christianity, Hallucination, Myth, Conspiracy and Swoon.
|1||Jesus died||Jesus rose||Christianity|
|2||Jesus died||Jesus didn’t rise—apostles deceived||Hallucination|
|3||Jesus died||Jesus didn’t rise—apostles myth-makers||Myth|
|4||Jesus died||Jesus didn’t rise—apostles deceivers||Conspiracy|
|5||Jesus didn’t die||Swoon|